2016 National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
6 to 12 August 2016
Gilwell Park, Chingford, London, United Kingdom, E4 7QW
When is NYLT?
6 to 12 August 2016. Staff plan to arrive on 4 August if utilizing group transportation from the London airports and on 5 August if transporting themselves to Gilwell Park. Participants plan to arrive on 5 August if utilizing group transportation from the London airports and on 6 August if providing their own transportation to Gilwell Park.
Course Start: 1200 | 6 August 2016
Course End: 1200 | 12 August 2016
Where is NYLT?
NYLT will be held at Gilwell Park, UK. Gilwell Park is the home of Scouting in the UK and is situated on the London-Essex border on the edge of Epping Forest, offering 108 acres of beautiful woodland, amazing activities, lodges and camping. You can learn more about this Scouting Heritage site http://www.scoutactivitycentres.org.uk/locations/gilwellpark/
What is NYLT?
NYLT is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide all 13-20-year-old youth members of the Boy Scouts of America (Scouts and Venturers) with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. It is the second step of a three-phase youth leadership-training continuum. The first phase, Introduction to Leadership Skills (ILS), begins in the home unit, generally following unit elections. The second phase (this course), NYLT, is conducted by the local council. The third phase, National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE), is generally conducted at Philmont.
NYLT is a six-day leadership course delivered in an outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. It is NOT an outdoor skills course. The schedule parallels the program month of a typical Scouting unit. This might be a month in the life of a troop or a series of meetings leading to an activity in a Venturing crew. Participants will sleep in tents and prepare their own meals by teams (formerly known as patrols). Every NYLT course operates according to the Scouting ideals of Boy Scouting and Venturing. Participants are expected to live by the Scout Oath and Law.
Participants will finish the course with a toolbox of effective leadership skills they can make their own and use throughout their life. Key course concepts include: Vision-Goals-Planning; SMART Goals; Planning and Problem-Solving Assessment; Teaching EDGE; Conflict Resolution; Making Ethical Decisions; Communications; and Valuing People among others.
Who may attend NYLT?
- Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must be 13 years of age and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program registration. They must be a First Class Scout and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers must be at least 14 and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Crew Officer Orientation and Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
- Be at least age 14.
- Have held positions of leadership in their home unit
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
- Have attended an NYLT course as participant or have completed the NAYLE bridge course if they are new Venturing staff who have not had an opportunity to take NYLT.
- Available youth staff positions include: Assistant Course Director for Youth Operations (formerly Senior Patrol Leader); Assistant Course Director for Program; Assistant Course Director for Service; Youth Quartermasters; Team Guides.
- Must be currently registered as a BSA adult leader and at least 21 years old
- Available adult staff positions include: Assistant Course Directors; Adult Health/Safety Officer; Adult Quartermaster Staff.
How do I register for NYLT?
NYLT Online Registration
Register Here: http://tac-bsa.kintera.org/nylt2016
Required Additional Forms
· NYLT Application Form . Email completed and scanned application to email@example.com.
- Annual BSA Health and Medical Record Parts A, B, and C available here
- Note: Annual BSA Health and Medical Record must be valid through 13 August 20216, which means that it must have been verified and signed by a Doctor after 14 August 2015.
- The taking of prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual’s parent or guardian. We do need to be aware of medical conditions requiring medication. Please ensure we have this information so we can track and assist youth in administering their prescription medication at the appropriate time.
- Email completed and scanned Annual BSA Health and Medical Record to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: All NYLT attendees, Youth/Adult-Participant/Staff, need to complete "Register Here," the NYLT Application Form, and the Annual BSA Health and Medical Record in order to be considered fully registered.
What should I bring?
An equipment list will be provided following registration. Most youth participating in an active troop with a good outdoor program should have the necessary gear.
- Each participant will be required to wear the official Field Uniform (Class A), and ensure that badges are properly placed and that the Scout uniform is worn correctly.
- Two activity uniform (Class B) NYLT T-shirts will be provided as part of the registration fee to be worn during the course. Additional T-Shirts are available to purchase but must be pre-ordered.
- Each participant must submit an Annual BSA Health and Medical record by 15 July 2016. This is the same medical form required for summer camp. The Annual BSA Health and Medical Record must be valid through 13 August 2016, which means that it must have been verified and signed by a Doctor after 14 August 2015.
What is the cost?
Participants Total Fee: $325.00
- Payment of full fee upfront is acceptable or you may use the payment schedule below:
▪ $100.00 due with application
▪ Final $225.00 by 15 July 2016
Youth/Adult Staff Total Fee: $100
Course registration closes 15 July 2016.
NYLT Course Director: Chris Knutson
Phone: +49-174-214-6437 or +49-7031-763-4427
Follow us on Facebook!
In accordance with Boy Scouts of America policies regarding online social media, the 2016 TAC NYLT course has two closed groups, one each for Participants [CK5] and Youth/Adult Staff[CK6] , to join. Update information, details regarding transportation, Scouting heritage and photos from the course will be shared through these pages. Request to join today!